Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Doctor

So I've rediscovered Doctor Who again. For those of you that don't know Doctor Who is a very long running (the longest actually) science fiction program that has been a staples of BBC programming for since the 60's. They rebooted it recently but managed to keep the same format. I could give you the run down of everything but there's way too much. Let's just say it's about an alien who has a time machine. The older series was very campy with terrible effects akin to Star Trek but with a lot less Shatner.

I've started watching the entire series since Christopher Eccleston regenerated as The Doctor and it's every bit as good as it was. I was never able to make time to watch the rebroadcast on SciFi or is it SyFy now so it's nice to be able to finally fill in the episodes that I missed thanks to Netflix. I've been watching every episode that I can online but they always leave out the last DVD for some reason. I have two or three more episodes to catch before my DVD arrives Monday.

After I finish with series one I get to catch up with the 10th Doctor David Tennant who is equally good if not better than Eccleston's Doctor. It's tough to make the transition to another actor even though they're playing the same guy. It's like a new album by your favorite band. You want to enjoy it right away but you have to get used to it. Tennant was great out of the gates and I've seen about half of his episodes. I have until the Christmas Episode airs in December to catch up with everything. After that the next season will start and there will be a new Doctor to get used to. I'm not familiar with the actor and it will be odd to have a guy younger than me playing him. The same could be said of Tennant but he was such a good fit that I never noticed.

If you're not familiar with the series you should give it a go.

2 comments:

  1. You have Dr. Who to catch up on. I have One Tree Hill to catch up on. We're pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete