Wednesday, December 21, 2011

30 Day Challenge - Day 5

Day 5 – How important is education to you?

I think it's incredibly important for everybody. I'm not a huge supporter of large tuition colleges because it takes advantage of people new to the world. I constantly read stories about people with $100k plus in college loans and all they have to show for it are what I call "boutique" degrees like religion, women's studies, and philosophy. Contrary to popular belief, there are not a lot of people out there looking for a 22 year old philosopher to throw money at. If you're going to spend that kind of money, become an engineer or a doctor.

I stand behind trade school though admittedly I'll push my children towards college. Not everybody is capable of working a skilled trade since there is a lot of self starting required. I went to trade school and I had to hustle my way into corporate America. The world will always need electricians and plumbers. If you don't mind the smell of poop or being electrocuted every now and then you can work as a journeyman for around $65-$85. The only real requirements are to pay your dues. If you're willing to work harder you can become a master and make even more.

Some people choose to make their GED the peak of their education and that's fine. Somebody has to deliver my pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment