Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Are you there God? It's me Graham.

No, I didn't just get my period though I'm confident I'll get there some day. Let's ramble on about God shall we?

In all seriousness I've had a tumultuous past with my own personal deity. I've yet to completely discount the guy because I've seen what I regard to be his hand in numerous moments in my life that I've chosen not to cheapen by calling them coincidences. That being said, I don't go to church and I don't share the "good news." This is more due to my introverted nature rather than my abhorrence of people who behave poorly in the name of God.

What really burns my ass are those that compromise the concept of God by misrepresenting via their own warped sense of spirituality. Worse yet when they do it via scripture. They're selective in their interpretations of the doctrine they follow. Most do this so they can freely pass judgment without being judged themselves. This is apparent to non-believers ironically via the scripture that every non-believer knows. "Judge not lest ye etc." Their slings and arrows are just another empty gesture in their attempt to win over a God who doesn't need to be won over.

Many sin freely with the knowledge that they just need to apologize for it verbally or via a set of rituals. Not that there is anything wrong with saying you're sorry. This is where "repentance" is misunderstood. If you're not truly sorry what you've done then your apology is an empty act.

Many Christians adhere to the spiritual head of household rule. At some point the submission of one spouse to the other went from a very spiritual, singular married body to the man making all the decisions. Mind you this only for the purpose of relinquishing accountability and turning your most pious side to the masses. They still reserve the right to claim superiority on subjects where they feel they need to be empowered. Here's an example. Mary believes that her husband Ron, ultimately decides what they do and when they do it. It's his cross to bear as the man of the house. Mary also believes that Ron should be consider her when making decisions about things that she wishes to have feelings about. In essence she's submissive except when she has an opinion. Thanks for the help with the role playing you guys.

Free will seems to evade a great many people. They fully understand what it is and what it means but when pinned to the wall by life they immediately hand the wheel over to whoever is willing to steer. God is not your co-pilot. He's your navigator. He has all the directions you need and will gladly point you in the right direction. He's not a driving instructor with his own set of controls to the Youmobile. Your place in life is fully dependent on how your ancestors utilized their free will and how you use your own. You're not alone but you do have to drive.

Some people hijack planes and fly them into buildings to get their lord's message out. Others hijack passersby with leaflets proclaiming how God loves them and wants the best for them. While this may be the case who decided it was up to these individuals to petition others on his behalf? The next time somebody knocks on your door you can lay a little scripture on them. It helps if you have a bible handy because you can pull that out to and really lay down the law. It's easy to find since it's the first book of the New Testament. Jesus' sermon on the mound is also where "Judge not..." comes from. Pay attention now. Matthew 7 is the best way to deal with these people.

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Ask, and it shall be given you seek, and ye shall find knock, and it shall be opened unto you for every one that asketh receiveth, and he that seeketh findeth, and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Quick and easy translation. If somebody wants it they'll ask for it. Don't put on your dog and pony show for people who don't want to see it.

It's stuff like this that pushes me away from people in general. I can appreciate that they've found spirituality but to me their enthusiasm for God is akin to some people's enthusiasm for Lady Gaga. Just because you think it's great doesn't mean I will no matter how many statements you provide that suggest I should do likewise.

I'll believe in God right along with you but I don't go to church and if I did I'm certainly not wearing a tie because Jesus didn't say I have to.

That's about all I got in the ramblin' department. Here's a story about Jesus being kidnapped and wiener poop.

1 comment:

  1. I really can't stand when people push their religion on me. I don't push mine one them...I'd appreciate the same courtesy. I don't want some random dude at the gas station asking me if I have Jesus in my life. that is so obnoxious.

    ReplyDelete